Noa is the main character of the short film Spanner. Spanner was created by FuzzyPixel, a production team within AWS that consists of artists and creatives that push and test new cloud technologies to help ensure they stand up to the rigors of real-world production.
- Maya rig file
- Maya look file with Yeti hair
- Maya look file with geo hair
- Geometry Cache Folder:
- Noa Model (referenced into the look files)
- Textures Folder:
- High resolution textures for rendering (used in the look files)
- Low resolution textures for rig (used in the rig file)
Note: when you open any of the files, you will need to repath the textures, and in the look files you will need to repath the alembic cache, to point to the location of the files on your computer.
The rig file contains the character model (including low resolution hair geometry) and simple materials with low resolution textures applied.
Look File – Yeti Hair:
The look file contains the character model with high resolution textures and materials applied. This look file also contains a Yeti hair system that can be simulated. In order to use this look file interactively or for rendering, you will need a Yeti license.
Look File – Geo Hair:
The look file contains the character model with high resolution textures and materials applied. This look file contains hair geometry, and does not require any extra licensing to render.
Animating and Rendering Noa
- (Optional) Reference the rig file into an animation file.
- Create a performance with the rig.
- Bake out an alembic cache for the character.
Render the Animation
- Create a copy of the look file.
- Choose which look file you’d like to use: the version with Yeti hair, or the version without Yeti hair.
- Update the alembic reference to point at the animation export you did earlier.
- Go to File → Reference Editor
- Right mouse click on the reference called noaRN noa.abc
- Choose Reference → Replace Reference
- Navigate to your animation alembic export.
- Add lights to the file and render with Arnold.
Created by FuzzyPixel, an AWS Creative Team
Original Character Design: Pierre Perifel
Character Model, Surfacing and Groom: Cris Fudge
Character Rig: Nico Sanghrajka